Grain Producers SA develops policy on issues affecting grain growers. GPSA works to communicate this to all levels of government – local, state and federal – and is in regular contact with marketers, exporters, storage and handlers, researchers and farm input suppliers on behalf of growers.
Growers are encouraged to have input on the organisation’s policies by contacting a board member or attending any of the forums which GPSA hosts and putting forward their view. GPSA staff attend a host of industry meetings throughout the year too and are available to discuss issues with growers by contacting the office on 1300 734 884 (for the cost of a local call).
GPSA holds pre and post-harvest forums which growers are invited to attend. These are widely advertised in GPSA newsletters and on the events section of the website.
GPSA has several advisory groups whose purpose is to focus on priority policy areas. Each group is led by a GPSA director and includes growers and may include industry stakeholders who work together on issues and, at times, provide recommendations to the GPSA Board.
The formal structure of GPSA’s advisory groups was reviewed in the 2018 calendar year, following the adoption of a new Strategic Plan to ensure the advisory structure remains relevant and inclusive.
Research Development & Extension Committee (RD&E)
As at June 30 2019, the sole permanent sub-committee in operation was the Grains Research, Development & Extension Committee (RD&E). Membership was comprised of:
The RD&E committee aims to:
- Promote Research, Development & Extension in Agriculture and the value it brings to South Australia.
- Evaluate efficacy of R, D & E programs conducted in South Australia for all crops.
- Consider issues and opportunities around intellectual property and levy payers.
- Look at levy funding of GPA from the GRDC grain levy.
- Review the National R,D&E frame work.
- Have oversight of SAGIT and its expenditure.
- Evaluate the value of funding from SAGIT to SARDI
- Coordinate with GPA & GGL on GRDC oversight.
- Evaluate any proposed future structure of GRDC and/or potential future research models
- Evaluate the GRDC bilateral arrangement between GRDC & SARDI.
- Support R,D&E into GM and latest technologies.
- Link with other groups involved in R,D&E e.g. SABAC, AOF, Pulse-Australia
Terms of Reference
A new initiative in 2018/19 was to establish a range of Taskforces that would focus on a single policy issue, largely in response to the evolving legislative priorities of the Parliament and broader government agenda. The GPSA Board have established Taskforces to investigate the following topics:
- Mining on Agricultural Land (joint industry taskforce with PPSA and Livestock SA)*
- Genetically Modified Crops*
- CFS Powers of Direction and the Grain Harvesting Code of Conduct
- GPSA Constitutional Review
- New legislation for South Australia's Biosecurity*
By establishing sub-committees or Taskforces, a broad range of views and expertise can be sourced in the development of policy to support GPSA’s work program, and provide an opportunity for industry-wide participation in projects supported by the Grain Industry Fund.
* denotes currently operational taskforces