South Australian grain producers are global leaders in the production of quality cereals, legumes and oilseeds.
- There are about 4,500 grain farms in SA
- SA farmers grow on average 7 million tonnes of grain per year
- The SA grain industry contributed nearly $4.2 billion to gross food revenue in 2017–18
- Each Australian farmer produces enough food to feed 600 people, 150 at home and 450 overseas
- SA contributes to 20% of Australia’s total grain production
- Grain producers sow 4 million hectares of crop every year – that’s only 4% of the state’s land area!
- Majority of SA’s grain industry is rain-fed … no irrigation!
- SA produces wheat, barley, canola, oats, lentils, peas, beans, lupins, chick peas, fodder, lucerne seed and other small seeds.
- SA exports 85% of its grain to 60 countries.
- Key markets for SA grain include Indonesia, India, Malaysia, China and the European Union
- SA’s barley is renowned for quality … the Yorke Peninsula produces the best malting barley for brewing in the world!
Primary Industries and Regions SA
National Farmers Federation Farm Facts