GPSA partners with rural health providers to give growers the tools they need to support their health and wellbeing.
online WH&S Resources
In South Australia, the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (SA) protects all workers, including employees, contractors, subcontractors, outworkers, apprentices and trainees, work experience students, volunteers and employers who perform work.
As South Australia’s workplace health and safety regulator, SafeWork SA offers advice and education on WH&S, and enforces WH&S laws.
SafeWork SA has partnered with GPSA and other commodity council members of Primary Producers SA, to produce free online resources tailored to help farmers understand their legal obligations.
The Farmers’ Guidebook to work health and safety has been developed to help farmers understand their legal responsibilities, as well as provide practical solutions to health and safety issues to help prevent serious or fatal injury on their properties.
You can contact GPSA for a free printed copy or download an electronic version of the Guide here.
Further information can be sourced directly from the SA Government website: www.safework.sa.gov.au
Farmsafe Australia is the national entity connecting state farming organisations, peak commodity bodies, influential advocacy bodies and other groups that share a common interest in agricultural health and safety.
GPSA is a member of Farmsafe Australia through Primary Producers SA. This membership enables GPSA further its policy work on work health and safety matters.
Farmsafe Australia Safety Induction Tool
This online tool is free and seeks to further improve the safety induction of new workers.
- Workers complete their induction in discussion with the farm owner/manager
- A record of the induction and issues it has covered are emailed directly to the worker and the farm owner/manager – helping to simplify the record-keeping process.
If you are a farm owner/manager and wish to modify the information included to suit your farm operation.
- Click the menu button in the top left-hand corner of the page
- Click ‘Employer Mode‘ and select the relevant drop-down boxes to start worker induction
Farmsafe Australia produces and compiles practical guides and resources to assist farmers WHS compliance practices. The resources relevant to grain growers are listed below.
- NFF COVID-19 Workplace Guide
- COVID-19 for Agriculture industry Workplaces Pack – For the Employer
- COVID-19 for Agriculture industry Workplaces Pack – For the Worker
- Tractor Checklist
- Irrigation Pumps and Motors Checklist
- Machinery Checklist
- Vehicle Checklist
- Motorbikes, Quads and Side By Side Vehicles Checklist
- Workshop Checklist
- Chemicals, Fertilisers and Pesticides Checklist
- Anhydrous Ammonia Checklist
- Farm Infrastructure Checklist
- Field and Paddock Checklist
- Farm Equipment Checklist
- Training and Induction Checklist
- Emergency and Preparedness Checklist
- Injury Management and Return to Work Checklist
Machinery operation & guarding:
- Safe Tractor Operation
- Grain Auger Operation – A Practical Guide
- Farm Machinery Guarding – A Practical Guide
- Guarding Grain Auger – A guide to fitting a more practical guard
- Machinery Guarding
Other risk management:
- Safety of Quads and Side-by-Side Vehicles on Australian Farms: A Practical Management Guide
- Safety Standards for Quads
- SafeWork NSW Quad Bike Myth Buster Videos
- Quad Bike and SSV Operation
Workplace culture and mental health:
Online Course: Workplace Safety for Farm Managers
The Workplace Safety for Farm Managers course is available on the Grain Producers Australia Training site. Designed to help a farm manager set up a workplace safety system, the course includes self-assessments to download and complete, helping to highlight areas where more work might be needed.
- Setting Up a Safe Workplace
- Managing Hazards
- Informing, Training, and Supervising
- Maintaining a Safe Workplace
- Monitoring, Reviewing and Improving
You will need to purchase Silver GPA Training membership in order to subscribe to the GPA Training platform.
Growers looking for information and new tools to improve their wellbeing can access ifarmwell’s online resources.
ifarmwell is an online tool kit to help farmers cope effectively with life’s challenges and get the most out of every day.
ifarmwell aligns with the health and wellbeing section of the SafeWork SA Farm Safety Guide by providing farmers with free, practical online tools to optimise their own wellbeing. Farmers can also use ifarmwell to help them to adhere to their duty of care to ensure the psychological health of their workers, by encouraging their workers to complete the five short modules.
GPSA has proudly sponsored ifarmwell’s latest marketing campaign to help improve the mental health and wellbeing of farmers and their workers.
This campaign has been funded by the Department for Health and Wellbeing, SA Health in partnership with Business SA and Grain Producers SA.
GPSA was proud to support the Fat Farmers Rural Health Initiative in 2018 with a $15,000 funding contribution. As well as providing support for Fat Farmers teams with exercise equipment and access to trainers, the funding also allowed the Fat Farmers Team Coordinators to come together to participate in an annual planning workshop where they share ideas regarding how to support local farming families to be healthy and active.
In 2019, GPSA has facilitated a $2,000 funding grant through SA Health in partnership with Business SA to enable the Fat Farmers Rural Health initiative to update and modernise their communications and resources. You can view the revamped Fat Farmers website here.